Saturday, October 25, 2008


I live in the Upper Left Coast of the USA. One fall-ish day, the wind was blowing outside and I decided it was time for tea. As I sat and listened to the kettle getting read to boil, this story steeped into my imagination.

The Tea Kettle Who Thought He Was the Wind

by
Mark Lewis

The wind outside was blowing a “Cup-of-Tea” afternoon.

She filled the Kettle with cold water; lighted the burner; set the kettle on the stove and went to find her book.

“Watch out for me!” clicked the Kettle, warming up.

“Don't get all stirred up!” spoke the Spoon.

The Kettle wheezed and whistled, popped and clicked.

“I am full of myself, and I am hot!” he simmered.

The Salt & Pepper began to shake.

“Don't worry.” said the Spoon.

“Aren't you afraid?” steeped the Tea, infused with fear!

“No,” smiled the Spoon, “I've been in hot water before!”

“He's being such a pain.” whispered the Window.

“What was that?” hissed the Kettle!

"Oh ... nothing!" replied the Curtains timidly, drawing back!

The Kettle bubbled and rolled, louder and louder!

“Oh no ... ” rattled the Teacup!

“I'm right behind you , dear!” said the Saucer.

And then, boasting and blustering at a full boil, the Kettle shouted,

“I am stronger than the Wind!”

He whistled and sputtered, seethed and steamed!

“I'm frightened!” said the Sugar Bowl sweetly, covering her ears.

The Creamer tried to separate himself.

The Teapot ducked under her cozy.

Finally, the howling Kettle fogged the kitchen window and laughed!

“Ha! Ha! Ha!”

The Wind, who had been listening, had heard enough!

He pushed open the kitchen window, rattled about the pots and pans and blew out the fire under the braggart!
“Pipe down!" whistled the Wind.

“He really burns me up!” said the Stove turning off the gas to be safe!

Red-faced, the Kettle cooled his heels.

Everyone in the kitchen cheered!

“Hooray!”
“What a bully!” scolded the Milk.

“Oh, Spoon,” crooned the Dish! “Run away with me!”

“Perhaps, when the cow jumps over the moon!” replied the Spoon.

And the moral of the story is:
Beware of being boastful
when you are simply full of hot air.

No comments: